Advantages and Disadvantages of Steel Roofing
Steel roofs are becoming more and more popular, and it’s easy to see why. They have a lot of advantages, such as being eco-friendly and durable, but they have some disadvantages too. It’s best to know the pros and cons of steel roofing before deciding whether or not a steel roof is good for your home or business.
The Top Three Advantages of Steel Roofs
Even though there are a lot of advantages to having a steel roof, three advantages come out on top. They are…
- Long-lasting. Steel roofs can last for 40-70 years if taken care of properly. They can withstand winds moving up to 120 mph. They’re also corrosion and fire-resistant, which means they’ll withstand the elements a lot better.
- Energy-efficient. Steel roofs absorb less heat than asphalt roofs. This means that your AC unit won’t have to work as hard to keep your home cool during the summer. In the winter, the overlapping panels act as insulators for your home.
- Safer and healthier. Steel roofs seal out moisture, so the development of mold and mildew are less of a problem. Steel roofs can also be recycled and reused, making them an eco-friendly choice for your home.
The Top Three Disadvantages of Steel Roofs
Steel roofs have a few disadvantages to keep in mind. They are…
- Costly. The installation of a steel roof is much more expensive than the installation of a traditional asphalt roof, though their lifespan makes them a worthy investment in the long run.
- Noisy. Some steel roofs come with the disadvantage of making noise when it rains. However, modern steel roofing materials and insulation practices have virtually eliminated this drawback to steel roofing.
- Dent easily. If a rock, piece of hail, or any other large object hits your roof, it will probably leave a mark. This is largely an aesthetic issue, as unlike with shingles there is not likely to be any structural damage.
How to Choose
When weighing the advantages and disadvantages of a new roof, it’s important not only to do your own research but to speak with an experienced roofing company that you can trust. Here at Paradigm Roofing, our DFW roofing contractors have decades of industry experience and can help you choose the most advantageous roofing option.
If you’re looking for a new roofing installation in DFW for your home and need help deciding if a steel roof is right for you, give our team a call at 972-542-7774 or leave us a message on our contact page.